Breeders.net Code of Ethics
- I will provide information on the characteristics and properties of the breed to interested individuals.
- I will maintain a safe, clean and sanitary facility for all stud dogs, bitches, adult dogs for sale and puppies for sale.
- I will breed only for the purpose of improving the quality of the breed. I will not engage in cross-breeding. I will conscientiously plan each litter of puppies for sale, selecting a stud dog and bitch to be mated based on their pedigrees, conformation and temperament.
- I will be knowledgeable about inherited health problems in my breed and will do appropriate health clearances on all breeding animals. Copies of these health clearances will be available to buyers of adult dogs for sale and puppies for sale.
- I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise, or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dogs for sale or puppies for sale.
- I will not breed any male or female until they are both physically and mentally mature, and I will not continue to breed any male or female beyond an appropriate age for the breed.
- I will comply with all federal, state or provincial and local government laws and regulations concerning the keeping of dogs.
- If puppies offered for sale to persons inquiring through the Breeders.NET directory are to be registered, they will be registered only with the American Kennel Club, United Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club or other registry with equivalent standards and requirements. If such puppies are not to be registered, I will inform the buyer of that fact in writing.
- I will refrain from releasing any puppy until it is at least seven (7) weeks old, or eight (8) weeks old if the puppy is to be shipped.
- I will show discrimination in the sale of my puppies and be concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. I will make buyers aware of their responsibilities as dog owners. I will not sell or donate dogs to commercial dog wholesalers, dealers, brokers, retailers, pet shops or any other person or organization, for resale or "give-away" to the public. I will not supply dogs or puppies for charity raffles or auctions. I will not supply puppies or dogs to be trained or used for dog fighting.
- I will keep accurate records and retain those records for a minimum of five years. These records will include: stud service contracts, pedigrees, all litters of puppies for sale, and all dogs/puppies sold.
- I am not a broker, dealer, puppy mill or wholesaler. I will not offer puppies for sale that I have acquired from others. I will not sell puppies to pet shops or other retailers.
- At time of sale, I will provide the buyer:
- a properly executed Registration Certificate together with full written disclosure of the name of the Registry and its standards and requirements (or if puppy is not to be registered, a written statement to that effect). Registration materials may be withheld if a written statement is provided to the new owner of when, and under what conditions, they will be provided (e.g. until the time of spay or neuter by the new owner as verified by a veterinarian, or if a written certification identifying the exact date of birth, and the registration numbers of the Sire and Dam is provided instead).
- a written, three-generation pedigree
- health record including a diet, inoculation and parasite control record, and health guarantee.
- basic diet and care information.
- the time frame during which the puppy or dog may be examined by a licensed veterinarian, at the buyer's expense, and, upon written recommendation of the veterinarian for specific reasons, the puppy or dog may be retuned to the seller for a full refund of all money paid.
- I will not deliberately degrade any fancier, their dogs, or their kennel.
- I will be honest and ethical in my financial dealings with buyers.
- Breeder Web Pages created on Breeders.NET must represent and be descriptive of the specific services of the Kennel. The link to your own, privately hosted web page from Breeders.NET is only permitted IF your web page is a descriptive representation of your kennel and dog breeding services YOU provide. Links to pages of advertisements and links to anything but your kennel are not permitted.
I agree to be a resource for buyers of puppies or older dogs that I have sold for the life of the dog. All breeders in Breeders.NET directory are required to agree to the above Code of Ethics and to be bound by its standard of behavior.
To review the Code of Ethics for specific breed clubs, you'll find their web sites by visiting www.akc.org for American Kennel Club recognized breeds, www.ukcdogs.com for United Kennel Club recognized breeds and www.ckc.ca for Canadian breed clubs.
Breeders.NET assumes no responsibility for the quality, health, or temperament of any dog, nor the warranty, guarantee, integrity, honesty or reliability, expressed or implied, by any person or of or by any person or organization whose name appears in the Breeders.NET directory. All such warranties, guarantees and promises are between buyer(s) and seller(s) as individuals.
All buyers are strongly encouraged to carefully document, in writing, all representations, promises, statements, warranties and guarantees made by sellers of puppies for sale and older dogs for sale. Such documentation should be signed by the seller. Breeders.NET cannot and does not become involved in resolving conflicts and disagreements between buyers and sellers. Breeders.NET's responsibility is limited to requesting assurance from listed breeders that they abide by terms of the Breeders.NET Code of Ethics.
Breeders.NET will disqualify a breeder from future participation in Breeders.NET where governmental or other authority has held the breeder not to be in compliance with laws, rules and regulations. If you wish to inform Breeders.NET of such a case, please complete this form.